Monday, September 1, 2008

College is ticking me off.

I don't know if I have blogged about this, but I am a full time college student as well as a wife and mom. I just graduated this past Spring with my Associates Degree and now I am going on for my Bachelors degree. I have a class in American Studies called Long National Nightmare: America in the 70's. I had no idea what this class was about. My counselor suggested it and because I am a new student I just said okay. What a stupid move. The class is taught by a very young thirty something Dr. of something (haven't figured out what yet.) All that the class is about is books and movies in the 70's and what social and political meaning they had. I am sorry, but it is going to kill me to do a 5 page essay on some of these movies that I think are nothing more than entertainment or even less, crap. How the hell am I going to come up with 5 pages of bull to get through this class. I have to do at least 3 of these and one last paper that has to be 8 to 10 pages. I will NEVER ever let another counselor suggest a class. I bet they have the top 10 classes that nobody wants that pop up on their screen and those are the ones that they suggest. The Dumb ass newbies (pointing at me) take it just because the process of going to a new school is daunting to say the least, so we just nod and smile thinking all the while that we are being well taken care of! HA HA HA I will guarantee myself this. Next semester I will be the Master of my own domain. I will not dare take a class until I know exactly what it is all about and who will be teaching it. Until then I will read the material and try my best to BS my way through the papers. Hopefully I will somehow pull an A from the class. Lesson learned.

Another thing that really annoys me about these Professors (Dr's.) is their vocabulary. I was taught in Comp 1 that you do not use extremely big words. It is considered pretentious. These people love to use as many big words as they can. It is sometimes as if they are speaking a completely different language. I think I have a pretty extensive vocabulary and they are blowing me away. I have started a glossary section at the back of each one of my notebooks just to jot down the words that I have never heard so that I may look them up when I get home. I truly feel they do this just to annoy us!

Other than that life is still good :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Semester just started, can't you drop the class ???
Sabine

Cindy said...

No, you have to drop within the first two weeks to get any of your money back. I could drop it, but then I could not be able to pick up another class. It's okay. I can get through it :) That is why you are supposed to go to college when you are young. You can sit through these types of classes that really have no meaning to them! :)