Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Presidential Election

This election is really getting to people. First off let me tell you right up front that I am a Republican. I have been my entire voting career including my voting in Weekly Reader in school. I had the privilege of voting for Ronald Reagan for his second term. I missed voting for him the first time by five months. Over the years I have sat back and quietly voted because that is what we Republicans do. I don't know about others, but I don't feel the need to protest. I don't need to be out there acting out to get attention for my party. I find it sad and quite pathetic that people feel the need to do that. In my opinion those people just need to get a life.

My best friend is a Democrat. We are constantly teasing each other about how our parties would feel if they knew that we were best friends. If she had her choice Hilary would be running, but since she isn't she is backing her second choice Obama. I am backing my first choice McCain. We don't agree with each others choice, but we totally respect each others choice. I do not feel the need to change her mind and she does not feel the need to change my mind. Neither one of us feels the need to put the others choice down. We see enough of that in the media, both the very large liberal and the very small conservative media. (We do agree on the media issue) I find it totally cool about her that she can admit that there is a whole lot more liberal media outlets than for Republican media.

We are also both back in college after many years away. We both see how the liberal edge is in all the colleges. I have professors mention little snippets about the election all the time. I have yet to find a Republican professor yet at this new college. I had quite a few at my last college. I guess what bothers me about this is that the majority of the minds the professors are teaching are young and impressionable. I just don't feel like there is free will. That scares me a bit. It is like they want these robotic answers and no thinking. I haven't asked my friend yet if she sees what I see. I would like to know what the other side thinks about it without prejudice. I know I will get that with her.

My Poly-Sci professor asked us the other day if we had seen Palin's speech the night before. He then laughed right behind the question and continued on with his lecture. He did not want to know what we thought. He just wanted to put it out there that he thought it was funny, not serious....just funny. I actually said later in the lecture when I could that I enjoyed her speech. That it was a fresh approach and that it was a nice change. He didn't really like that and stated that he didn't agree. I didn't care, at least those impressionable minds heard another opinion if only for that one fleeting moment. I guess you could call that my attempt at protesting!!

I will be glad when this election is over. Until then my friend and I will sit back and watch all the craziness around us.

1 comment:

Virginia Harris said...

Read this for your daughters!

Senator Clinton and Governor Palin are proof that women can and do diverge on important issues.

Even on the question of whether women should vote!

Most people are totally in the dark about HOW the suffragettes won votes for women, and what life was REALLY like for women before they did.

Suffragettes were opposed by many women who were what was known as 'anti.'

The most influential 'anti' lived in the White House. First Lady Edith Wilson was a wealthy Washington widow who married President Wilson in 1915.

Her role in Wilson's decision to jail and torture Alice Paul and hundreds of other suffragettes will never be fully known, but she was outraged that these women picketed her husband's White House.

I'd like to share a women's history learning opportunity...

"The Privilege of Voting" is a new free e-mail series that follows eight great women from 1912 - 1920 to reveal ALL that happened to set the stage for women to win the vote in England and America.

It's a real-life soap opera! And it's ALL true!

Powerful suffragettes Alice Paul and Emmeline Pankhurst are featured, along with TWO gorgeous presidential mistresses, First Lady Edith Wilson, Edith Wharton, Isadora Duncan and Alice Roosevelt.

There are tons of heartache on the rocky road to the ballot box, but in the end, women WIN!

Thanks to the suffragettes, women have voices and choices!

Exciting, sequential episodes are great to read on coffeebreaks, or anytime.

Subscribe free at

www.CoffeebreakReaders.com/subscribe.html